January 4, 2010

Free Digital Image - Painted Pony

This card if for the color challenge over at TMITA w/PCC. The FREE image is called "Painted Pony" and if you missed out on the freebie you can find it in my new store Paper Cupcakes. If you haven't been by my store, make sure you check it out. It holds a lot of new digital images that you cannot get anywhere else. They are my originals.

I loved this color challenge that Patti Nelson brought us this week. I love it when the challenges include colors and/or sketches, mainly because it takes a lot of my thinking and decision making out of it. I decided to do another easel card. Although, instead of doing it square I decided to do a 5x7 that would fit into one of my envelopes. It doesn't quite stand the same, but none-the-less turned out cute and I was satisfied with it.

I colored my images with my colored pencils. The tree is a stamp by Stampabilities called "Heart Tree". The stamp is actually only about 2 inches high, but I really wanted a bigger tree and didn't have one (I know I should have just drew one) but I really love this stamp, so unlike digi's where you can just enlarge them (which is one of the things I LOVE about digital stamps) I decided to stamp this and just enlarge it on my copier (is that legal?). The enlarged tree is about 4 1/2 inches and then cut it out after coloring it. I decided to cut grass to hold up my easel and actually did 2 layers one on the base and one on the front behind the pony. I got some fancy smancy scissors from my neighbor/friend Bea/Carl for Christmas that has five blades on both sides and was perfect for cutting my grass and I was excited to actually use them on a project verses just cut things up playing! Thanks Bea! I really loved all the design detail on this pony and had a lot of fun coloring it. I added glossy accents to parts of the designs on the pony and also added it to the red heart on the tree. I placed my painted pony on pop-up dots to make him stand out just a bit as well. I drew the sun in the top corner and added some color to that as well with my pencils and then added some glossy accents to that. Added a little butterfly and thought it looked like a perfect day for a pony out in a field. I really loved how this turned out, but I think my easel part could stand up a little higher and straighter, so I will be working on a way to perfect this size of card in making it into an easel card for easy mailing!

This is what the front of the card looks like prior to folding it out into an easel card:


A more close-up shot with both layers of grass:

The full easel card:


My black is actually blacker, but I think the light washed it out! Thanks for stopping by and taking a look and I hope you can find some time to play along with us as well over at There's Magic In The Air!

10 comments:

craftieodmae said...

WOW! this is over the moon gorgeous! I love it

Nilla said...

Fabulous easel card, Nina and I love the tree and your coloring! Perfect! Hugs Nilla

craftieodmae said...

Oh WOW! this is fantastic! I love your layout, coloring and the sentiment!

Danielle said...

You did a fabulous job with your painted pony image Nina! I just love that heart tree and the smaller easel card version is gorgeous! Those blades of grass are awesome!
Hugs, Danielle

The Other Patti Sue said...

So very cool Nina! I love how you enlarged your tree! I've done that before and it works great! Your sun is awesome! Did you draw that? The little painted pony coloring is absolutely amazing! I love the grass, so creative! That's why your our fearless leader! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Nina, this is just the cutest and most cheerful illustration. Makes me remember our loving, creative God has every day in His capable care. Thanks.

Patti J said...

Wowzers, Nina! I love everything about this card - the pony image is delightful! The tree, the grass, the easel, and the sentiment you chose is one of my favorite verses! Kudo's to you on a wonderful card!!!

Selma said...

Wow how cute this is. I love your layout. That is the cutest tree. I didn't know they make scissors to cut grass!!!The colors on your pony are gorgeous. I have to go back now and make a colorful pony. Was running out of time before going out of town!

Kim Mc said...

FABULOUS, Nina!!! Love everything about it! The tree is so adorable and I think it's fine to copy it, as long as you stamped it yourself first :) I too have done that to get the size image I needed. Also that sun is just perfect and the pp just see to tie it all together. GREAT coloring and the easel card is wonderful... :)

PS I noticed the one section wasn't patterned and did "fix" it on mine...I only noticed it because I was paper piecing and the colors weren't balancing for me and my OCD!! :) hehe!

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW, Nina -- what a magical scene you created!! Everything about this makes me smile, and I find myself longing to join your pony out in his sunny field!!